How to Get a Guy to Ask for Your Number: A Guide for Fraternity Rushees, from Females
As females at Northwestern, we are used to the fraternity boys that we see every week at bars and parties asking for our digits. Even (and especially) freshmen girls have encountered the, “I should...um maybe, can I, really want you…I mean your number” at least one or two times already (probably more times than that, but it gets better freshmen girls! One day this will stop because you are washed up).
You, as freshmen rushees, have probably already figured out that Northwestern’s fraternity rush runs on a currency of texts through which one may prove how incredibly loved and wanted they are by a given fraternity. A dispassionate, “stop by tn,” from a brother could mean you are their next alpha bid. It could also mean they hate you, I don’t really know. If you’ve come to realize that talking to guys at Northwestern is kind of awkward, the girls of Northwestern are familiar with your plight, and are here to give you a couple tips on how to get a guy to ask for your number.
1) Don’t be nervous. Every one of these guys was once in your shoes at one point in the past year or two and knows exactly how you feel. Well not you maybe, you tucked an Ed Hardy shirt into khakis and walked in to their frat with your shoes tied together; but hey, they empathize with the guy standing next to you.
2) They are more afraid of you then you are of them. This actually probably not true for you, but it is true for us (girls) and spiders, so come with many girls (leave your spiders at home), don’t act afraid of us, and they will be impressed.
3) Look nice. For us this means putting on makeup, shaving, and wearing minimal clothing. If you want to do this too, you may, but we recommend just dressing as you usually do and being yourself. Unless you suck…then you should probably try for something else.
4) Flirt with them briefly. You can do this by batting your eyelashes, whispering in their ear or touching their arm. Boys love it when you touch their arms. They will definitely ask for your number if you do this. And they might give it to campus security.
5) Play hard to get. So you really, really like the brothers of Pi Epsilon Zeta (which is not a real fraternity but would be a really cool acronym for one), and can already envision yourself playing caps and endless rounds of bp with these guys. That is great but for now, tuck your boner back inside your pants because as every girl knows, this is the part where it is important to play hard to get. After an initial encounter it is very important that you go and talk to other guys, so that you can get to know other brothers but also so that you don’t look like you’re trying too hard. You have plenty of other frats after your bid, you totally don’t need these guys.
6) Wait. Hang out, be chill, bask in your own apathy. You don’t really care if this guy wants you as his pledge son or not. But like please, please, please can he just be your dad? But honestly, you really don’t care just act chill. If he likes you he will approach you again to talk and ask for your number so you can chill again sometime.
7) Put your number into their phone correctly. This is a very important last step because if you would like any invites to anything in the future, a correct phone number is always needed. As girls we sometimes utilize the fine art of fake numbers, but that’s a lesson for another time….
Disclaimer: The females of Northwestern are in no way saying that this advice will work for you. In fact, if you considered ascribing to any advice on this website, it is probably too late for you.